International Transfer Certificate (ITC)

What is an International Transfer Certificate (ITC)?
All youth soccer players registered to play organized soccer with Langley United Soccer Association (LUSA) are ultimately registered with the Canada Soccer Association (CSA) via the district, FVYSA and BC Soccer.

International FIFA rules state that players may not play for more than one National Soccer Association at one time. Therefore, a player previously or currently registered for any National Association other than the Canada Soccer Association may only be registered in Canada after the CSA receives an ITC from the player’s former home National Association.

Who Requires an ITC?
The following link to BC Soccer’s International Transfer Certificate Procedures provides more information on who requires an ITC and what is required:
International Transfer Clearance Procedures:

Who Is Responsible For the ITC Application?
The parents of players who are applying for an ITC are the ones responsible for the application process. This page, with information on the process, is for the information of incoming players. The Langley United Soccer Association (Director and / or staff) are not able to communicate on an applicant’s behalf or submit documents on their behalf. The entire process is the responsibility of parents.

Youth Application Procedure
If the parameters outlined in the linked document apply, the application must be completed as soon as possible since the review and approval process can take a number of weeks once submitted to BC Soccer and the other governing soccer organizations. The ITC application and accompanying documents must be submitted directly to BC Soccer. ([email protected])

The following MANDATORY documents must be submitted by the player/parents in PDF format.

  • Proof of identity and nationality (i.e., passport) – player
  • Proof of identity and nationality (i.e., passport) – parents
  • Proof of birth date (birth certificate or passport) ‐ player
  • Employment contract – parents
  • Work permit – parents
  • Proof of residence (i.e. proof of home ownership, rental agreement) – player and parents
    • Proof of distance (i.e., Google maps showing location club/residence)
    • Parental authorization
      *** There is no longer any fee charged for processing the application.

Please note the following points regarding International Transfer Applications:

  • Documentation Requirements for Minors who are Refugees: With respect to refugees, Canada Soccer is aware of the challenges newcomers have in providing the relevant documentation as required by FIFA. Accordingly, Canada Soccer will consider the mandatory document requirements as having been met provided at least one (1) of the following documents have been provided by both the parent(s) and player(s):
      • UNHCR Asylum Seekers Certificate;
      • Canada Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR); or
      • Permanent Resident Card
  • Minors with Only One Parent in Canada: With respect to minor players (either refugees, or not) who find themselves in Canada with only one parent, the parent must provide a signed and dated letter detailing the reasons as to why only one parent is currently in Canada (either due to work commitments, divorce, deceased, etc.) Canada Soccer will review to consider this sufficient in order to request the player(s) ITC.
  • Minors who are Exchange Students: Typically exchange students are ineligible to apply for an ITC because they must have at least one parent in Canada with them. However, there are exceptions that are outlined in the attached document linked to above.
  • Provisional Certificates for ITC applications of minors are only provided in cases where the player will be registering strictly as an amateur with an amateur club with no legal, financial or de facto links to a professional club. Once the mandatory documents noted above have been received, Canada Soccer is free to request the ITC directly with the National Association. Should Canada Soccer not receive a response from another National Association within 30 days, Canada Soccer is then free to issue a provisional transfer certificate allowing the player to register.
  • CSA DOES NOT communicate directly with District Associations, Clubs, players, or parents regarding ITC applications, questions, or status checks; they only communicate with the provincial body (i.e., BC Soccer.)